Sunday, October 4, 2009

A Quote and A Shout-Out

I want to send my love and best wishes to a couple friends who just left the country! First to Elizabeth, who moved back to Buenos Aires for the next 8 months. I visited her last year in Chile before she moved to BA for the first time. We had a blast in Valparaiso and I know she will have an amazing time being back in South America.

The day after she left, Kate left for Jordan, Egypt, Syria, and Israel/Palestine for the next 5 months. You can read about both their adventures in their blogs, La Vida Desconocida and In the Middle of What, respectively. Seeing their excitement in embarking on these adventures only heightens my desire to take off for somewhere myself. Hopefully soon... maybe I can even meet up with one or both of them!

I also recently came across a quote I really like by Martha Graham, choreographer and dancer who basically pioneered modern dance.

"There is a vitality, a life force, and energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, that expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open."

Heck yeah!

3 comments:

makewhatyouneedtofind said...

and here's a (delayed) shout back--MIL GRACIAS/SHUKRAN!

i love that martha graham quote--needed to be reminded.

also--needed to be reminded to actually write on my blog. i will do. i have some good excuses...which i will write about :)

AmberAnda said...

Great to hear from you Kate! Looking forward to hearing about those excuses, I'm sure you already have amazing tales to share!

ElizaBeth said...

Thanks for the shout-out! You are of course always welcome wherever my travels take me. (Just don't call them my adventures or I'll smack you.)

I have been playing the ukulele with relative dedication but not really improving... stay tuned.