Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Harvest and a Quote

I came across this quote on my friend Lydia's blog today and it really struck a chord in me.


“Life will break you. Nobody can protect you from that and living alone won’t either, for solitude will also break you with its yearning. You have to love. You have to feel. It is the reason you are here on Earth. You are here to risk your heart. You are here to be swallowed up. And when it happens that you are broken, or betrayed, or left, or hurt, or death brushes near, let yourself sit by an apple tree, and listen to the apples falling all around you in heaps, wasting their sweetness. Tell yourself that you tasted as many as you could.”
From The Painted Drum by Louise Erdrich
In other news, I finally got around to thinning the carrots and beets in my garden yesterday, and was happy to see the pretty rainbow carrots doing well. I got a bunch of beet greens, which is as much my draw for growing beets as the root, and we just finished off the last of the garlic scapes. I'm trying to plan and plant for my fall/overwintering beds, and as always, I wish I had more time to spend in the garden. Now it's a sunny morning, and I just fertilized everything and gave it a good water, and am loading up the car to head to Ross Lake for rest of the week. Excited to see how things have grown when I get back!

2 comments:

Katherine Jenkins said...

Can you come by for dinner some time and help me with my garden ^_^! Looks wonderful!

Ally said...

Love that quote and LOVE your harvest!!

I second Katherine's, comment too. Won't you come for dinner and help with MY garden too?!!!

Oh, so what is your opinion on what I should plant right now where I am about to pull out my no longer producing snow peas? I know they put a lot of nitrogen in the soil and I would love to have a fall harvest of something ....? Any ideas?