Sunday, July 27, 2014

I Can't Stop Smiling... Summer Break!

I've been trying for months to figure out my plans for a big summer backpacking trip, but the logistics were complicated and kept changing. When I finally decided to scrap my original plan, a fabulous new one quickly took its place.

It was a lesson in letting go of things that aren't working, and clearing space for new adventures. I'm now planning to hike a section of the Washington Pacific Crest Trail, and then attempt to climb Rainier!

The morning I finally decided that, this song came into my head as I rode my bike to work. It's I can't stop smiling by Velocity Girl, from one of the first CD's I ever owned in 8th grade.

I can't stop smiling
and I don't know why
I'd want to anyway. 

Yes, I am sometimes that crazy person belting out a song while riding her bike on Dexter Avenue.

I'm looking forward to having some time to myself, and some solid time outside to really wear myself out. Sometimes I feel like a puppy, like I just need to play outside and get tired to be really happy.

But it's been a fabulous summer so far in Seattle. Last week we got some serious rain, but otherwise it's been an amazingly (almost eerily) hot and sunny past month. I've done some fun bike rides, like out to Magnuson Park to go swimming and chase down the popsicle man.

I did a ride around the southern portion of Lake Washington, where I made a very important discovery: The Seahawks belong to Renton! Seattle did not with the Super Bowl at all!
The garden is doing its thing...

And it's been wonderful to eat from the garden, eat what's local, and share food with friends. Sometimes the house white board on our kitchen fridge looks like this:
There's also been time to hang with my sisters and nieces, play in park, and hang on boats.






Catch you on the flip side!

No comments: